Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Rockin' and rollin'

 Lots going on today...the stairs to the loft are complete. This is a welcome addition because we've been using an extension ladder for weeks to access the loft. You can see the thickness, 4" for each step. This is pre-planning. As I get older I expect to get heavier by at least three fold (I'm 130 lbs now). I want to make sure that the stairs can take my heavy butt up and down. Darlene, on the other hand, will no doubt maintain her perfect weight vs height and not be concerned about how sturdy the stairs are.

 Tim attached our gable element today. This was made using natural, dried wood from the mountain. I have another one for the gable of the viewing porch (the porch that face the view). Together, they'll compliment the poplar siding already in place.
Tim and mostly James are setting the first of 10 locust posts to hold the viewing porch and the wrap-around porch as well. These locust posts were harvested from an old widow's farm without her knowing (just kidding). They were harvested near where NC and Tenn meet. Each post weighs in at about 150-200 lbs.

For those that don't know, locust is extremely dense and bugs don't like it. Ours have the bark in-tack which adds to the rustic charm (sounds like I'm trying to sell the place).

Thank you James, you are the man!!!!


I ran to Boone to pick up some beams for the face of the viewing porch. When I got back, the guys were gone but they set 3 post and are starting on the support beams. The beams I brought from Boone will span from the right post to the left post. Then, we'll add a vertical beam and two beams set at a 45 degree angle. Don't get all caught up in that, I'll post the photo tomorrow and it will make perfect sense!

More coming,
z

No comments:

Post a Comment