Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Happy Anniversary!

No it's not my wedding anniversary. Today marks the 1 year date since I moved to West Jefferson to begin the journey of building our dream mountain cabin. Don't misunderstand, it hasn't taken a year to build, it's just a special day marking my arrival in Ashe County.

August 18, 2011

I little flashback for those that forgot...the photo to the right was taken just as I arrived near town. What you're not seeing is the truck loaded with camper in tow. I was heading into West Jefferson for the very first time. I ended up that night at a campground near town.

Darlene was in an apartment in Raleigh anxious to finish out her last year teaching (June 2012) so my departure was bittersweet.

I had our plans in hand, the funds to build, a few people I knew in the area and that was it.



August 17, 2012

Jump ahead 1 year later and things have changed dramatically. The cabin is almost near completion. The photo to the left shows the electrical cable being buried from the house to the workshop. The workshop is 125' from the house (a good distance if one ever wanted to hide ;^) ).

The guys were back to finish the final grading around the cabin and set the electrical line in also. We've had temporary power for awhile but will be glad to get full power in the next few weeks.


We added some more crush 'er run to the driveway. Crush 'er run is a mix of gravel and other stuff that compacts well and holds up to rain and the weather. We decided not to have the drive paved with asphalt for two reasons...the expense and it doesn't fit with our wanting to keep the cabin rustic.

As you can see, a lot has happened since August 18, 2011...

We see the reality of our plans, the funds are gone, and we have met lots of really nice folks.

For those that don't know, Darlene retired in June from a great 30 year career in education. She does miss the kindergartners but after a short search she's found someone that still needs teaching. I have taken on yet another career change. I was recruited to serve as general manager and CFO for Ashe High Country Realty in West Jefferson. I've been there since July 2, 2012. The business is moving along right on schedule. For those wondering, this is my last career change...I think.

More coming,
D&z

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! I miss hiking with you, but this blog surely shows that you were off-trail for a very good reason. The place looks amazing. Am hoping to see it in person one day . . . before you get too old to show me around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great Dad! Coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete