Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Monday, September 26, 2011

I give up...for a few days anyway!

We've had 'on and off', actually more on, rain lately that's throwing a bolt into the machinery. I spoke with our well drilling operator this morning and he has to be cautious about taking his rig onto any wet or slippery ground. He feels like the weather is going to break and a couple of days of drying out should do the trick. He's on standby for this week.

Being the eternal optimist, I've decided to go to Raleigh on some business tomorrow and return to a beautiful, sunny Ashe County on Thursday. Dar is moving to lower ground in Raleigh (from a second story apartment to a first floor) so I'll be busy helping her move. If you haven't kept up, we're not divorced, we're separated while the grunt work gets done in the mountains. We will be back together soon! What's that old saying, "absence makes the heart grow...?"

This photo was taken at around 2:30pm today from the Lowe's parking lot. As you can see, we're seeing clouds touch the ground here.

I spend a lot of time at Lowe's looking at various materials for the cabin. I did get a call today that the shingles are in...only problem is that we need a cabin to attach them to. They'll keep them safe for us until we need them.

An encouraging note came from Myron, my Lowe's buddy...hard freeze doesn't happen until early November. We should be good to get the footers and foundation in the ground in the next 2 weeks...assuming Noah takes a vacation!

On another note, we have a fantastic library here in West Jefferson. I'm here so much they gave me a name badge. I was here working on some 'Cabin Keeper' stuff (I'll explain in a few days) and needed a logo and some type but the only thing I had was a ratty old brochure with those elements. The problem was that I didn't have them as saved images on my computer. I took a shot and asked if they had the capability to scan and low and behold, they took me to their little business center desk. Computer, leather chair, books and scanner. I felt like such an executive and five minutes later I had my images on a flash drive and inserted into my document...I love this place! Now if only I could read... &#(%@

More coming,
z

No comments:

Post a Comment