Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sweetheart Visits and Getting Ready To Move Dirt

Darlene set to 'crank it up'
I've missed a few posts due to the fact that I've been playing 'musical campsites' and Labor Day threw a wrench into my access to the internet.

Darlene came up to visit and also make sure I was on track ;^)  I assured her that all was moving forward. It was so good to see her smiling face and bottles of wine. It felt like normal for the first time in several weeks.

Our grading contractor brought his track hoe to the property so he'll be ready to start grading once the County signs off on the septic. Darlene is chomping at the bit to start grading. I am too.

I did stop by the County office this morning and it looks like tomorrow (Wednesday 9/7) is the day they will make their visit. They'll call me ahead so we can meet on site.

We spent the Labor Day weekend at RiverCamp USA along with a bunch of other folks. Now I know what a sardine feels like. We were wall to wall campers and tents. It started raining on the evening of the 4th and again on the 5th. The rain cleared the place out as everyone headed home. We packed up our gear and headed back to the New River State Park. It feels good to be 'almost home' again. The downside to the move was that Dar had to leave to head back to Raleigh...very sad to see her go BUT just before she departed, of all things, the truck wouldn't start. One of the rangers gave me a kick start. I said goodbye to Dar and headed to AutoZone for a battery check. Fortunately, it was the battery and not the alternator. It's funny what $100 can do to your mood not to mention starting the truck!

The rain started last evening (9/5) and came down in buckets all night long. Lots of wind and rain. They say we're in a flash flood warning for the area. I'm at the library now and it's still raining outside. My task is to get orders out for the windows and the SIPS today and I'll make that self imposed deadline.

Spent some good time at Lowes looking at roofing, doors and other stuff. Prices were very good. I'll check around for other prices to make sure.

I'll post again soon,
Z

No comments:

Post a Comment