Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Big day but not that big!

It was a big day today. The workshop got it's new roof completed. All of the metal roofing is in place and probably will be tested this evening as we're expecting a light rain.

I headed to the lumber yard to get the material necessary to make the door for the workshop. On the way I stopped at Parker Tie, a local lumber, hardware, everything place, and talked to Mike about what was needed to install my wood stove in the workshop. He was very knowledgeable and offered up some good solutions to the install. I'll make the door over the next few days. Once it's installed, I can start to bring in some of my stored woodworking tools. This is just another step closer to finishing our dream cabin.

Once the workshop roof was finished, the guys headed straight for the cabin to build the structural walls necessary to carry the remaining floor trusses and ultimately the SIPs. Tim and James have been great. They move quickly and accurately through each phase of the build. Needless to say, this has been a relief to me to have found the right help.

What you're seeing is the start of two walls necessary to carry the load of the trusses that will rest above (not shown). This wall is one wall of the stair system that leads from the garage up to the first level. Notice the floor...it's been treated with a sealer that makes it almost shine. The concrete guys did a great job. The opening to the left of the photo is the garage door opening.


We are on schedule for accepting delivery of the wall units (SIPs) for the first level on Friday. I picked up and delivered a trailer load of 4' x 8' sheets of subfloor material that will be installed tomorrow (Thursday). I spoke with Eco-Panels rep Craig today and delivery of the first floor SIPs will be day after tomorrow as planned.

The weatherman (http://asheweather.com/Forecast/West+Jefferson) is calling for much colder temps for a few days then back to 'nice'. We should be good with the delivery and the install of the first floor SIPs, which will take place on Friday and Saturday. The loft level will be delivered mid-week, next week.

The 'big boss' from Raleigh is coming to inspect and make sure we are on track. I hope everything meets with her approval or otherwise I'll be living in the workshop long term ;^(.

I have been missing the 'boss' strange as that may sound. After 41 years of guidance, I have to admit that I miss being 'handled'. Don't get me wrong, I love the area we've chosen to spend the rest of our lives in, I love the people and everything about Ashe County appeals to me BUT I really miss all my handler and all my 'buds'. I know I'll meet new buds here but until I do, I'm a bit lonely.

Now that I got that off my chest...Thanksgiving is coming. It's my favorite holiday even better than Christmas. Our family will come together and JUST enjoys each other...NO GIFTS, just LOVE! I can't wait, I really can't wait.

More coming,
z

No comments:

Post a Comment