Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Heavy metal and slab work

The moon and stars must be aligned because we were able to pour our slab and a bunch of deck piers today without cold or rain. There are only 4 piers remaining to pour and that'll be a piece of cake.

The slab, now in place, allows us to build two structural walls that help support the main floor and above. We'll frame those Thursday. The SIPs are due in Friday but may be delayed a few days to make sure we are absolutely ready and have good weather for a few days.

We're concentrating on the workshop (sheep shed) while the slab cures. The workshop is critical to most of the interior work on the cabin because I'll have a place to build cabinets, make custom elements, etc. for the cabin. The photo to the left shows Tim installing the metal roofing on the workshop. We should have the roof finished by tomorrow and then I'll build the door and start bringing in tools. Needless to say, "I'm pumped".

Each piece of 3' x 12' metal is hoisted by rope up the side wall and onto the roof decking to then be screwed down. Once up the wall, I run for cover because if the panel breaks loose then I loose my head or other major part.

I forgot to mention that I have an old 'Atlanta' wood stove that will adorn one corner of the workshop. Once it's in place, I'll be sure to post a photo with it in operation. I expect it to be fully functional by next month (brrrrrrrrr!)

Dar and I have gone back and forth about a formal name for our estate. Early this morning we finally agreed on a proper name. It was essential that we do it this morning because the name was forever etched into the concrete slab as you enter the garage. I made a maple leaf template that was pressed into the concrete then added the name "Maple Lodge" est. 2011 using a fine instrument (a 16d nail...so much for romance).

One more note: Dar, her sister Marlene and husband Don will be visiting this Thursday for a few days. I guess I better get things in order. I've already alerted the guys that the 'big boss' and her assistants are going to be in town this week!

More coming,
z

No comments:

Post a Comment