Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dirty clothes and squirrelly phones

Me with Big Mama, the commercial dryer!
Tuesdays are a good day to do the wash and that's exactly what I did this morning. Took about an hour but I was able to multi-task while Tide did its job. There are only a few laundramats around so I picked the nicest one. $4.75 in quarters made me a new man!

One of my calls, while waiting for the dryer to buzz, was to the Environmental Services office to see how our permit was coming. Janie told me Jason will get with me next week for the on-site inspection. Could happen sooner but I suspect it will be next week.

I've been having problems with my phone lately. I have a telephone number with a 919 area code but I wanted to have a 336 area code to make it easier for folks to call me locally. I got a Google Voice number with a 336 area code and thought all was good until folks told me they had to dial the whole number area code and all to get me and sometimes that wouldn't work. At this point my pressure is starting to rise.

I decided to have the 336 number ported to my phone to make it easier for folks to find me. The port took place yesterday, leaving me without a phone from about 5pm until this morning. After a call to Verizon yesterday, they told me I had to go in a Verizon tower range to perform the final keystrokes that would make all good.

Katy and I got up early this morning and headed to Todd, where Verizon told me a tower was nearby. It worked. Presto, my phone was now working and ka-ding, ka-ding, ka-ding, six times (the noise my phone makes when I have a voicemail). They were from my sweetheart. In a panic, she couldn't get me and thought I'd driven off a mountain ravine and was nowhere to be found. Sometime when I have more time I'll tell you why I didn't make contact last night...too long a story for now.

I'm at the library, working on the cabin plans and listing those items and quantities of materials that we'll be needing and when.

Busy days, more coming.

Z

p.s. My sweet sister-in-law sent a care package of organic peanut butter and jam. I love that girl and I hate -in-law, she's my sister period and I love her!

p.p.s. Care packages are always welcome (hint)

No comments:

Post a Comment