Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tires, windows and the birth of a septic system

I had to go to Wilkesboro to buy a set of new tires for the truck. It was a good chance to set the gps to 'shortest distance' instead of 'fastest way'. Actually, because I'm without Darlene, I was out of the box in setting it to 'shortest distance'. That method of navigation takes you there but in as straight a line as possible. Let me tell you, I'm seeing the countryside and every mile is really neat. Old barns, farms, horses, you name it I've see it.

The tires came from a new friend John's tire business. He's a partner with another friend and I wanted to contribute to the local economy. I picked a set that will help in the snow and mud but is still quiet on the road. So far, the quiet on the road works. I'll let you know about the snow and mud.

I left John's about noon and headed down main street and spotted a diner called 'The 50's'. People were coming and going so I decided to be a 'coming'. Ordered up a roast beef sandwich to go. The service was exceptional and I even got to talk to the owner, who happens to be a nephew of race care legend Jimmy Johnson. I took the sandwich across the street to a little park and with my constant companion Katy, I enjoyed a great lunch (I deserved it, a man can't live on Weight Watcher's frozen dinners but so long).

When lunch was finished we headed to Staples to get some more copies of the plan printed. I've been giving them out like candy and needed to resupply. If you're wondering, Katy enjoys lounging in the truck with the AC on and the doors locked while I do business. What a life...

Our next stop was a Jeld Wen supplier in Wilkesboro who sells windows, doors, etc. Walter, another very friendly guy, showed me different style windows and had his assistant make a copy of the window schedule on our plan. He promised to deliver, by email, a quote within 2 days. So far everyone has done exactly what they promised and on time.

Katy and I had two more stops. One at the Appalachian Health Department where we apply for all the necessary permits for septic and well. Janie, the gal at the front desk, is so helpful and again, she loves my jokes. Jason, the guy that will make the on site inspection told me that he will be out next week. He promised to call me a day ahead so I could meet him there and offer up any assistance necessary. I get the feeling that our permits are going to be pushed through. Remember, they liked my jokes...

Our last stop before coming back to the campground was at Food Lion. Like a zombie, I headed for the frozen dinner section to peruse the Weight Watcher's selections. Don't misunderstand, I don't need to loose a great deal of weight. I'm just trying to trim up a bit for the upcoming visit from my girlfriend from Raleigh. She likes me buff!

I owe you all an explanation about how I'm doing this blog daily and how I take the photos attached. First of all, the internet coverage at the campground isn't the best. I have 3 bars but one always flickers. I have an iPhone that allows me to use it like a wifi. I hang the iPhone up in a plastic grocery bag from the lantern stand (to get height), it sends out the signa (not really a full signal but just a signa). I then park mayself in a confortable folding chair (wine in hand) at the picnic table and write a new post. I tried it later in the evening but think the planet Uranus messes up the transmission.

The photos are taken by my small, but compact Olympus. I attach it to the end of my hiking stick and set it to 'self timer' and bang...it looks like someone takes the shot for me. Actually, Katy stand on her hind legs and manages, don't know how she does it, to snap a good one each time.

Tomorrow, I meet with the grading contractor, a second time, for him to walk me through what needs to be done and also to justify his fee. I can't wait. I'll head to Sparta in the afternoon to order the floor trusses.

Sounds like a lot of stuff but all necessary and should help us get concrete in the ground before it gets c-o-l-d!

More to come,
Z

1 comment:

  1. It's great to follow your progress! You should connect the blog with Facebook so that when you post here, it shows up automatically there!

    Looking forward to the "numbers"!

    Greg

    ReplyDelete