Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Another milestone

Inspection report with PASSED checked!
Busy day today. I spent the morning getting ready for a visit from the building inspectors. I use the plural inspector(s) because lately they ride 2 in a truck because things are a bit slow. Instead of 2 eyes we deal with 4 eyes looking over every nail and every screw but that's OK because 'we passed our inspection' for framing, electrical and plumbing. May not sound like a big deal but in all the permits I've pulled over the years, once we get a sign off for framing, electrical and plumbing then the  rest is downhill.

We got approval to insulate.  Once insulation is complete and approved then we 'button up' the interior and put the finishing touches on the cabin.

The cabin has been in a state of 'mess' for the past few weeks with the framing, electrician's and plumber's trash. Once the inspectors left I started to clean up. Now don't get me wrong, it's not an OCD thing. I just like it clean because I'm the next 'trade' in with trim carpentry. I'll probably make a mess too but I'll clean it up each day before I leave. Anyway, the BOSS is coming next weekend and I will get another inspection...hope I PASS!

More coming,
z

1 comment:

  1. Kent, I am so happy for you. It was wonderful spending a few hours to review your blog. Your home looks fantastic. We went out to Oregon for a week over New Years Eve. It was exciting to see such different landscapes and to see Hilary building a life for herself. God speed. Richard

    ReplyDelete