Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Warm at last

I mentioned a few months ago that my friend Junior gave me a small pot belly stove that belonged to his late father-in-law who I knew as well. My original plan was to use it in the workshop but instead decided to use it in the cabin initially as a conversation piece but maybe as a functioning stove down the road.

Before Junior gave me the stove I had already bought one, per above paragraph, and today I hitched it up and ran a test fire. Everything went as planned. It even raised the workshop temp from 40 to 48 during the short test.

This stove is an 'Atlanta' wood stove and other than flipping the stove pipe connector (below the white label on the stove pipe), it appears to be working well. I had to extend the stove pipe 2' above the edge of the roof to insure a good draft. That was the tough part...but now it's done and I can enjoy some warmth on those cold days that keep me in the workshop.

 This photo was taken Friday. I kept Tim's scaffolding until Saturday so I could finish the trim around the ceiling fan in the living room. The trim includes poplar bark and twigs for the ceiling mount. It's about 16' high and the scaffold made the job much easier. I took the scaffold back to Tim's house Saturday.

Tomorrow (Monday) it's back to work on the walls. It should go smoothly because all the subs are finished and I can rock 'n roll without interruption.

More coming,
z

No comments:

Post a Comment