Building our dream home in the NC mountains

It's almost mid August 2011 and the love of my life and I are getting ready to begin a year long adventure building our dream cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. We're actually in Oregon, as we speak (8/11/11) wrapping up a glorious 10 day vacation with my wife's sister and brother-in-law at their cabin in the mountains.

Why the title "The Maple Tree Adventure"? Our property is on Maple Tree Lane at an elevation of 4200'...sounds like an adventure to us.

We've talked about this for a long time and now that it's a reality, we are excited to start the process. The process should take about 10 months. The build should be completed by next fall 2012.

Our goal is to offer up a blog entry daily. Some posts might include a photo, others may not. The adventure takes my wife and me in different directions for awhile. She teaches school and will finish out her career in June 2012 in Raleigh. I, on the other hand, will head to the mountains to get the cabin rolling in the next week or so (8/16/11).

Keep us in your prayers, leave your comments and plan to visit us next spring 2013.

Kent & Darlene
210 Maple Tree Lane
West Jefferson, NC 28694

(828) 406-4823

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Good day for waiting

I made an appointment for this morning at the local Ford dealer for service. The fact of the matter is that the truck has been acting kind of funny lately. i take off from a stand still and feel a shudder for a few seconds then it goes away.

Larry, my Ford guy, just called to tell me that the clutches in the differential need replacing. The good new is that they have the parts and can fix it today...now the bad news...$700 ouch!

I've parked myself at the library to do some designing of sorts. Not many people know but I like to design stuff. Today is kitchen and closet design day.

This shot is of one of the cabinets I designed on Sketchup. I put the parts together, size them, then explode them so I can add dimensions. The dimensions help me when I cut material to build the cabinets.



I also put together the start of our master closet area. I have to recheck a few numbers AND get the boss' approval before I move forward with the design.

Speaking of the boss...my sweetheart is coming Saturday to visit. Can't wait.

More coming,
z

p.s. If you haven't tried Sketchup then it's worth the cost...FREE. Search Google Sketchup and you'll get a FREE Mac or Windows download. Lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment